<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 05, 2006

No William Tecumseh Gore

The Moose observes that Al Gore refused to offer a Shemanesque rejection of a Shermanesque rejection.

The Draft Al movement is still alive. When given the opportunity yesterday to categorically reject a run in '08, Al categorically rejected the reject - or that is how this mammal interpreted it. You be the judge,

"I haven't made a Sherman statement, but that's not an effort to hold the door open. It's more the internal shifting of gears," said Gore, referring to Civil War-era general William Tecumseh Sherman. "I can't imagine any circumstances in which I would become a candidate again. I've found other ways to serve. I'm enjoying them."

Gore referred to Sherman's famous words upon retiring from the Army in 1884, which put to rest talk of a presidential run: "If nominated I will not run; if elected I will not serve."

In the Moose's book, those words are politician talk for "I'll run if you show some enthusiasm." And this is Gore's moment. It will not likely happen again - he has the base and he can bide his time to observe how the field fills out.

Meanwhile, there is no Sherman for Gore.

-- Posted at 5:46 AM | Link to this post | Email this post